Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Getting it together

This has been a very busy week for us. There has been a lot on our minds and even more to keep our hands busy. I've been working steadily on two different processes. I started out the week throwing butter keepers, goblets and mugs and in between the trimming, assembling and handling I managed to glaze and fire the last two kilnloads of work to send off to Florida. Yesterday and today Rowan joined me in the studio and she made 125 wee bowls over the two days. I am amazed at how productive she is. I keep joking I'm going to chain her to the wheel and we'll make our whole living off of her wee bowl production. I'm only kidding a little bit. She IS that good.

On the finished work front I unloaded the glaze kilns, everything is looking good. I started pricing then got some extra help from Cheyenne, a delightful and helpful young lady who seems to be fond of Morgan, for what reason I'm not sure.

Rowan did an amazing job getting everything organized and inventoried while I did some last minute Raku firing of some medallions for magnets and pendants which had mixed results..batch 1 was underfired, batch 2 was close to overfired and batch 3 was perfect. Fortunately I only lost 3/15 for the second batch. Some of these medallions are really nice! I'm pleased.The bonus is I know I can refire batch 1 and get perfect results.

So the plan now is finish packing in the morning, perhaps do my refire if time allows, load the rest of the greenware into the kiln and start a bisc, then drive all the pottery to Lancaster, load it into the bus so Elliot can drive it all to Florida and get our season started with the Fort Meyer Renaissance Fair.